The scene started with me in bed, struggling to get out and stumbling to the bathroom. The light is just beginning to enter the room through the window. I took a good shower and went off to work as usual. Each day, although there are lots of work to do and I know it would be a long and hard day, I try to be more up-beat about going to work. Furthermore, at my work place, there are some chio bu (which is Hokkien, a Chinese dialect, for pretty babes) at my workplace, so this just gave me something more to look forward to going to work.
And so I left my home, always feeling anticipative about what I am going to do at work. My transportation modes would include the public train and a shutter bus provided by the company. Basically the entire journey would take about an hour, half hour on train, and fifteen minutes on the bus. However, something happen along the way, which is what this post is about. If the day is as smooth as ever, with no obstacles, I do not think that I would be even thinking about it at all. The thing is the bad things doesn't just stop there, it somehow seems to be able to perpetuates to my entire day. I am sure sometimes in your life, you wake up feeling great but everything just does not seem to go your way, so maybe this is one of those "bad" days. The only thing for me to do is to stay cool and pray for the day to finish..
I have arrived at the train station just in time to catch the train if I was to take the earlier shuttle bus. Just as I board the it, the announcement speakers spoke, "Sorry, this train is not in service. Please wait for the next one. I glanced at the indication board at the station, it has changed from marina bay to "Do Not Board". I quickly exited the train. Around me, there were many puzzled faces, unsure of what to do exactly, to exit or not to exit? I guess it never cross them that there was no choice given. Only at the blaring whistles of the station officers that these people start to move. And so I wasted precious time, waiting for people to vacate the train, and for the train to move on, so the next one in line could come in.
Within two minutes, the next train trotted in slowly into the platform. At this point the entire station platform is already filled with people. I feel so tempted to take a picture of this rare sight, a neighborhood stop being more crowded than a town one. As the train ready to a stop, many people knew they all hopes of getting to work on time would be lost, as this "next" train is also very pack with people to door. As the door closes and leave, with me standing there helplessly, I glance upon something that upset me more than not being able to get on the train. In the middle of the carriage, there were more space for commuters to stand, but people just refuse to squeeze a little and move further into the train. Everybody likes to cluster round the door. I am definitely sure that this only happens in Singapore. Whatever the case, this sight is really pathetic.
The third train also screwed up with a "Do not Board" at the indication board. And so after missing three trains, I decided to be slightly more aggressive, which landed me on the forth train. I can only say that I am one of the lucky ones, as there are still many others, with neatly-pressed long-sleeved shirts and ties, professionally dressed who are left stranded. I can only say, "too bad! Haha!" Ok not to laugh at them. At this very moment, the unreliability of the local train system really shocked me, and I suddenly feel uneasy in a system I trust so much and have been faithfully riding for the past decade. "Is it time to get my own transport? Maybe not"
Just when I was feeling a little satisfied having beat so many others in this rat race to get to work, the next stop, another announcement came from the speakers in the train, "All passengers please alight. This train is not in service. Please board the next one." Dang. The station was already very crowded, and now another train filled with people is going to be unloaded. Can this really be happening to me?" In the past there are numerous incidents of the train system breaking down, but this is my first time experiencing a minor one. I fought my way into the next train. I counted four elbows to others and three bruises to the heads.
I arrived at my destination, lost, with no clue on how to make my way to my workplace. The shuttle bus is long gone. I bought some food for breakfast and wondered aimlessly around the place. Ok, time to take a bus, after some queries, I took the right bus and hop on. After that is about close to a kilometer walk. I arrived safely, sweating all over and one hour late.
I sat down, nobody says anything, nobody notices anything. I am just a temporary guy. My favorite girl is not in, my guess is that she is on medical leave. Oh well.
The day was sluggish, and also I do not understand why people don't give their instructions at one go, but they like to do it one step at a time. They do not realize how much double job they have given me. However, I do admit that it is still a systematic, logical and organized way of doing things. However, being the person that I am, I like to draw straight lines from point to point. So it would be bad if you say something, then add on. It would really inconvenience me. All the backtracking etc.
And thus the day almost ended. With me rushing to my next job. I have an hour to rest and travel there. Just I reach the shuttle bus back to the train station. I realized that I am the only one who is unable to board as the bus is full. Sad. Nevertheless, I took a second bus which would drop me at a place further away, and I would have to take the train to travel back again. Sign.
As long as this day is over, it will not come again. Never! I will not allow it!
Not so smooth.. it happens..
Labels:
personal rants,
thoughts
- Thursday, June 5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 returned:
Post a Comment