My mother has already been working in the seamstress industry for quite a number of years already.. and she was always sharing little anecdotes and also experience of the conditions of her working experiences. Today, I have decided just sort of write down some of thoughts and also a little of the more recent history on her current job.. So the following is roughly in her words, but translated by me, from Chinese to mandarin.. so here it goes..
"I had the intention to look for job eight years ago but i have met with multiple obstacles. The bulk of them is concerning time management and also commitment. Firstly, was to my religion which is Buddhism, soka. Through so many year I have really grown a lot and had my life transformed through practising Buddhism in this organisation so I am really grateful to them. Secondly, is my family commitment, that I need to take care of my children, and fetch my youngest child yuan rui to school etc.. Ironically, one of the reasons that I decide to work is also due to me wanting my youngest son to be more independent, instead of relying on me too heavily on his school work and also daily routines.
So, once my mind is all set, I started flipping through the recruits section of the Straits Times. After quite a while I did not find anything that actually suit me, so I just settle on my best bet. Its written there that they have a vacancy for a store assistant so i just gave it a try. The person on the other end of the phone say that they actually need one that can sew and preferably also amend clothes and I thought, Okay, I have history of dealing with clothes, so the work should be rather manageable... The next was that an interview was scheduled the next day. The terms was simple, 850 dollars a month for 5 1/2 work week. This actually seems alright for me, but then they amended it again to 5 day work week, since I am still just a housewife. This came as a pleasant surprise, and I gladly accepted it, because I just needed a job and I understand that with my education qualifications, it would be difficult to find a higher paid job.
At the interview, the person ask me what can I do or am good at. I share with her that I had worked at bridal shop before, so I would be rather familiar working with suits and dresses. Before that, I also did clothes of a wide variety of all season, spring, summer, autumn and winter clothings. I was actually part of a team to make the prototypes of clothes design that would be given to factories to reproduce in large numbers for sale.
However, the company told me frankly that, they would have no need up such expertise, there would only be simple amendments made, they are only looking for a simple worker who is hardworking and also sincere in his work. And I also understand that there is actually a yearly one bonus for me. So, on the day itself, I actually already have another appointment with a friend to introduce her to my religion, but due to this interview I can only ask my younger sister to help me take care of her. There were altogether 21 interviewees and among them, I was the twentieth one. Eventually, when all was done and I was back home, upon reaching, I immediately got a call from the company's office. I will start work on Monday..
Without realizing, i have stayed with the company for eight long years already. The working environment there is really nice and the people there care and also respect me. However, being in the industries for so long, now my heart long to start my own little business. Hopefully all will work out, but before that, lets sit down and plan first." end.
So this is roughly in my words what I think she said.. what can I say man.. I can only be encouraged by her enthusiasm towards what she do! All the way!
thoughts from my mom..
Labels:
personal rants,
thoughts
- Monday, April 28
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 returned:
Post a Comment