I have traveled into another world. A world I have not ventured even close at allin the past. I have done quite a few odd jobs, but never an office one, so finally I get one that allows me to see what goes on behind walls of companies.
The first day I arrived, I have to ask around to find my way to the Human Resource department, which is consist of two or three people. I was then redirected to a higher floor, to the environment which I would be spending the rest of my time. The entire building was 7 stories high, and the company took up 3 levels, most of level 4 and 5 and the whole of level 7.
I took the lift up, and with my security pass, gain entry to the office. Security was always an issue here. There was always these irritating security features by the door everywhere. "Tii!" I placed my card on the security device and the door opened. There was a short corridor leading to the reception area. As I moved along, there were many familiar faces on the walls, Zoe Tay, Wong Li Lian, and many other local celebrities' faces. I just assumed these are shoots for the magazine covers.
Later I found my way to a petite young lady. She was the senior admin staff, and I was to assist her. I was having doubts about what I can do to help the company, although it was only the first day. She explained that her superior is not around and I was to initiate some "projects" or "assignments" and the actual job would only start when she is back. So I spend the next week or so distributing magazines, dispatching letters etc, basically helping out people. I was comfortable was these, I was used to physical work, from my national service.
I had work swiftly through the work, maybe it is due to my previous jobs, I suddenly find it hard to adjust to this new environment. I had to learn to slow down a little. Sometimes I don't understand why I am trying so hard to do things fast and efficient. Office life is slightly more relaxed than doing sales or other job with commissions. I am paid by the hour.
I realized that people do not work round the clock after all, some portion is spent mingling or communicating with others, and another hour or two on lunch, and the rest is work. Here, it’s understandable because work done is not by the hour, but by completing your assigned projects. So basically, people will be chasing after deadlines after deadlines.
It’s like doing projects in school. Way before the projects, people are relaxed, but when nearing the deadline, the adrenaline kicks in and the midnight oil starts burning everywhere. However, since this is a company and not a school, and everyone is an adult who are very professional, I don’t hear much complains about working late in the night.
As I walk along the aisles of cubicles, people are starting to come in and take up their places. My seat is directly in front of the CEO’s office; beside him would be my immediate superior’s office. You can take a look at the models I had made during my free time in the first week. The young lady orientated me around the company, where the key personnel are, where to go for lunch and also what's going on in the office.
As you stroll around the office, if you listen carefully enough, you can hear mouses clicking away ( tic..tic tic tictictictic. Tic tictic ..) and also the keyboards being slammed on loudly ( da dada dadadadadadadadada dda dada dadadda). I have to say something about the noise that keyboards generate in the office. With people typing away at maybe 70 -100 words per minute, the noise that tens of people generated is surprising loud. Some people maybe due to their typing habits or simply are trying to show off tend to type rather forcefully. You can hear their machine guns going off 20 meters away. Sometimes, it’s a few machine guns going off at the same time.
Then during certain hours, like the hour before they end the day, the entire office suddenly becomes a busy maketplace. Everyone was standing around, chit chatting in groups of 3 or 4.
Although working in an aircon environment can be pretty comfortable, and at times it can be really cold, I start to miss the outdoor life. Or rather other jobs that reward me for the work I do, and not by the hour. These jobs tend to be outdoor with a faster pace. Sometimes I have to remind myself, that I am working not because of the money, but because there are things to see and learn. I have definitely seen something different here.
thinking back..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 returned:
Post a Comment